Friday, September 17, 2010

News from Maya in Brussels



It has been an eventful couple of weeks!
I am back from ImPulsTanz (Vienna, Austria) and have been taking classes at a studio in the center of Brussels and was babysitting in the evenings. Then I took a two-week workshop with Ultima Vez. The first week was taught by a German named Jauregui Allue and the second week was taught by Inaki Azpillaga. It was Monday-Friday from 10am-4pm with a 20 minute break. It was the most intense and physically demanding workshop I have ever taken. We were rolling and jumping and flying.

We spent a lot of work on partnering and it was so much fun to be lifted in the air and then thrown into another guy who threw me across the room. I had bruises all over and my body was exhausted-but I never felt more alive. It was amazing to have so much time to do all the partnering work. I met a great group of people in the classes and since they were small (around 20 people each week) we really got to know everyone. I have friends now in Sweden, Amsterdam, Germany, Switzerland, Spain and London. I went to a dance festival here at Brigittines (a beautiful old church that has been transformed into a theater) and saw a work 'Love/Death/Devil-The Piece' by Ben J. Ripe (German choreographer). People in bunny masks roamed the stage as one man sang "Moon River" while trying to swallow the microphone. Provocative questions were asked such as 'Are you afraid of dying?' I also saw the world premiere of 'Monkey Sandwhich' by Wim Vandekeybus. It was a 2 1/2 hour film with one performer on stage who was reacting to the characters and events on the screen. I could not help but smile when I saw Davis Freeman in the movie-since I just met him at ImPulsTanz and I feel that I am starting to get to know the dance scene over here. After the film there was a lavish reception (that one would never see in the U.S. for a dance performance) and I even met Wim Vandekeybus! Next week I am taking a workshop everyday with Martin Kilvady and all of the Les Slovaks so that will be great. Kind of frustrating news but I will have to return to the United States October 1st since my visa is expiring. Although I am involved in projects here in November and December, the projects are not through a paying/established company and therefore did not qualify me for my extension. After running (literally) around Brussels and meeting important people from embassies and ministries, it became clear to me that if I want to stay longer than three months, I just have to do my paperwork with the Belgian Embassy in the U.S. This weekend is the Kanal Festival filled with contemporary dance and film showings. Can't wait to come back and really settle in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment