Thursday, July 1, 2010

What's life like a year after graduating from GMU? from Nora Hickman:

As usual, it has not been hard for me to stay busy and active in my daily life. I am a fitness instructor at Physique57 where I teach a Lotte Burke style fitness class 15 times per week. Often I teach the morning/opening shift, 6:30-7:30, 7:30-8:30, 8:30-9:30. It's pretty tiring waking up at 4:30 to yell into a microphone over Lady Gaga to 20 plus NYC women, but it's super fun. Not only am I being paid to workout, but I also share my love of fitness and inspire hundreds of women per week. I make my own schedule and only need to work 15 hours per week.... Leaving adequate time for training and auditions.

From 12-2, Monday through Friday I take company class with Jennifer Muller/The Works in Chelsea. These classes are closed to scholarship students and company members so I get a lot of personal attention. In exchange for these classes I am on workstudy-- tasks varing from cutting gels with the lighting designer to stuffing envelopes for upcoming shows. However while I'm doing these tasks I get to watch company rehearsal and be in the thick of this midsized dance company. Then I try to take another class, usually contemporary at Peridance or yoga. My days are pretty long, so I make sure to leave time to see friends and chillout. Our fave spot... Or maybe just mine... is Benny's Burritos in the west village. $3 margaritas... Need I say more? I'm starting to realize that it's ok to have days off, and find balance so that I don't burn out. I live right by Astoria park/pool, which has been great now that the weather is getting nice.

A relationship from Mason that continues to inspire and motivate me is that with Susan Shields. Susan has always been so supportive of me, yet was always very honest and direct. One particular time that stands out to me was when she told me that I had a strong sense of determination. Of course in order to be successful you need talent and ability, however you also new to be hardworking and goal-oriented. Even when I would be frustrated, and to this day when I doubt myself or feel discouraged, I believe that if I set my mind to do something and if it was truely meant to be, then it will happen. Susan has always pushed her students to be the best that they can be and supported me through my three years at GMU. Now that I have lived in NYC for over a year, I believe that these supportive relationships are what help me to keep afloat and stay positive in this competitive yet fabulous city.

1 comment:

  1. i love reading about the day-by-day details of our dancers who have flown away to make their own nests. keep them coming please!!!

    ReplyDelete